The Writing Group will meet again on Wednesday, March 11, 2020 at 10:00 am at the LDS Church.
Using the ancestor you focused on for this February's assignment, find a photo or likeness (can be a sketch or drawing too) for them. Examine the picture and then consider:
1. What kind of photo is it? School photo, wedding, military, family portrait?
2. What do you think was going on in their mind right before AND/OR after the photo was taken.
3. What did their demeanor seem to be in the photo? Happy, hopeful, frightened, serious?
4. How were they clothed? Formally? Casually?
5. Could you tell easily who your ancestor is and the family hierarchy?
Now write a half page about them based on this photo. Bring in the photo to class next month to share - if you have a copy.Secondly, bring in a keepsake, family heirloom, letter, photo, etc. to write about in class. It doesn't have to be the same ancestor as from your previous assignment, but it can be. This is a "just for you" exercise and it won't be read aloud in class, but I hope it can keep stimulating you to write with story in mind.
Bring your ideas to share and hear advice from author and research specialist,
Email or call (415) 254-6302 for more details.
Laurel is an award-winning author, journalist and 4th generation Californian. She is a writing coach and founder of a 501 c 3 organization for writers called Write on Mamas, and has had her writing featured on stage, radio, in print and online.
Laurel is currently completing a Professional Genealogy Certification through the National Genealogical Society.
She has an MA in Journalism and Communication Research and a BA in Public Relations.